Published by NBC Bay Area TV station, a reporter goes with CSLB investigators to watch unlicensed contractors get taken down…
Contractors: Unlicensed and Illegal
Leaky roofs. Faulty wiring. Unfinished projects.
Contractors who promise to get the job done, but disappear instead taking your money with them.
We went on a two day undercover sting to round up unlicensed contractors. The video above shows you what we found.
Here are some tips to avoid unlicensed contractors:
- Ask for their pocket card. It’s issued to every licensed contractor by the state and it shows their name and license number.
- Check it against your contractor’s driver’s license.
- Ask to see a copy of your contractor’s insurance policy, bond, and worker’s comp insurance.
- Finally–check this state website to make sure your contractor is licensed and in good standing.
- You can also find more information at the Contractors State License Board website.