Well here it is folks, the proof of how dangerous a cigarette can be. Extinguish your butt and discard it properly. In water. Watch the video. Then read the article and see how this building narrowly escaped burning to the ground.
First I’ll tell you that I love to cook steaks and Santa Maria style Tri-tip over oak on my @webergrills .
However, my grill will not be found on the deck. Why? It’s simple, when I read headlines like this one, and see what happens to homes that burn down and how lives are upended, I know my grill is safest when away from the house and off the deck.
People always express amazement at how fast the fire started and how fast it spread into the house.
So we’ve been tweeting to Weber, Big Green Egg, Traeger, Solo, Charbroil and others to help get the message out… But they’ve all been silent. Don’t know why, but these companies could help spread the message and save customers homes from damage… But silence is an answer as well. So shame on them.
Grill on the ground away from the house. I don’t like seeing burned homes and the headline “Grill gets away and burns down house”. Maybe it’s just me but I think others think like I do too.
A safety expert believes a cigarette is to blame for sparking a massive fire on a deck on a condo in Florida. We recommend the use of fire resistant Class A rated solid surface decking over wood and synthetics for superior protection.
DO NOT USE FIRE PITS ON DECKS! DO NOT USE FIRE PITS ON DECKS!
A family escaped with smoke damage to the interior and about 60k in dagaes to their deck and exterior of the home when embers from a fire pit on the wood deck apparently were blown out onto the deck. The deck ignited and the siding did to. Lucky these people weren’t killed…
“The Girard Fire Department says the family had been burning wood in a fire pit on the wooden deck on Sunday night. They believe that wind may have kicked up an ember in the ashes and started the blaze.”
A good first step to helping prevent fires and loss of property and life…Connecticut banned using propane and gas grills on decks.
From the Hartford Courant- A little-noticed change in the newly revised Connecticut State Fire Prevention Code, which took effect May 7, prohibits the use and storage of any type of grill or cooking device on decks, beneath overhangs or within 10 feet of the building. Read the article at the link below.
A fire consumes a home in Washington state. Early reports indicate the fire began on the deck. The family lost their home and a pet dog as a result. Photo KREM.com
Please, don’t grill or smoke on your deck. That’s the advice we keep giving and sadly, not a day goes by without a report of a grill or cigarettes starting the fire. We recommend solid surface decking systems that are Class A fire retardant. Read more on our website.
News and information courtesy of DeckExpert.com, the voice for Division 7 Waterproof Decking.
ICC-ES evaluated Class A fire rated Pedestrian Traffic Systems are your best choice when it comes to long term value, life and lower maintenance costs!
Visit DeckExpert.com today and learn more.
YOUR ONE STOP SOURCE FOR DECK INFORMATION & EDUCATION