Category Archives: grill safety

Grilling Season Is Here… And Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Grill On The Deck

First I’ll tell you that I love to cook steaks and Santa Maria style Tri-tip over oak on my @webergrills .

However, my grill will not be found on the deck. Why? It’s simple, when I read headlines like this one, and see what happens to homes that burn down and how lives are upended, I know my grill is safest when away from the house and off the deck.

Grill on the ground not on the deck!

People always express amazement at how fast the fire started and how fast it spread into the house.

So we’ve been tweeting to Weber, Big Green Egg, Traeger, Solo, Charbroil and others to help get the message out… But they’ve all been silent. Don’t know why, but these companies could help spread the message and save customers homes from damage… But silence is an answer as well. So shame on them.

Grill on the ground away from the house. I don’t like seeing burned homes and the headline “Grill gets away and burns down house”. Maybe it’s just me but I think others think like I do too.

Lucky this time! A gas grill flared up and ignited the deck. Always clean your grills gas venturi tubing. Spiders etc can block the flow causing an explosion.

Deck Safety Tips For a Safe, Fun Filled Summer

We don’t want to be Debbie Downers, but when it comes to deck safety, we are Debbie Downer…

You might be too if you get the amount of Google Alerts I do on deck fires and deck collapses.

Everyday, somewhere a deck collapses or catches fire from a grill, smoking materials or a fire pit…or a heat lamp for the dog house, sparks from welding, you get the picture. So a few safety tips from me, to help you not be the next statistic;

  • No smoking on a deck.
  • No grilling on a deck.
  • NO FIRE PITS ON A DECK!
  • Smoke, grill or have a fire pit a minimum of ten feet away from the building. Make sure everything is out by dousing grills/pits in water. Yes your neighbors might be pissed because of the smell, but they will be even more pissed if that fire pit catches their house on fire!
  • Have your deck inspected. So many accidents could be avoided if inspections were done by competent people.
  • Any wobbling railings, stairs or deck is a bad sign. Get it inspected and fixed ASAP.

Consumers/homeowners, click below to use NADRA’s handy self inspection checklist to see if further professional inspection should be done.

NADRA Consumer Checklist

 

Gas Grill Propane Tank Explodes on a Deck, Resulting Fire Burns Everything

Once again tragedy strikes when attempting to cook with a grill on a deck…

From South Washington County Bulletin- “Two Woodbury senior citizens lost their home and they’re lucky to be alive after the propane tank on their grill exploded on the deck last Wednesday. 
Robert Hamer and his wife, Katherine, escaped via the front door of their home in the 5700 block of Fawn Trail Circle, spending the night at a neighbor’s house after a shocking accident on their backyard deck turned the $340,000 home into an inferno.”

Read the rest by clicking here-http://www.swcbulletin.com/news/crime-and-courts/3754029-update-massive-fire-couple-loses-house-cars-lifetime-valued-items

Tragic consequences when a gas grill propane tank blew, igniting the deck and burning the house down with a lifetime of memories in it.
Grills and decks don’t mix, Cook away from your house!